Date: Sunday, 16 January 2022
The 20th Dis-Chem Half Marathon will take place on Sunday, 16 January 2022. Hosted as always by Bedfordview Country Club Athletics, the iconic route will again take runners through the scenic suburbs of Bedfordview.
The course will remain the same, winding its way through Bedfordview, Morninghill and Primrose – providing runners with a challenging route and spectacular views, particularly as the road crests and dives down Primrose Hill. Race marshals will be stationed along the route to control traffic and offer spirited encouragement to the runners.
However, the event will have a slightly different complexion compared to previous races to comply with Covid safety regulations and protocols.
These changes include:
- Limited entries.
- No Centrum 5km Dash fun run.
- Mat to mat timing (not gun to mat)
- A rolling batched start within a 30-minute window.
- No spectators.
- Only 4 water points on the route (runners are encouraged to bring their own water).
- Screening and temperature taken at collection venues and on race day.
- Athletes will not receive medals and will need to depart the finish venue as soon as they complete their run.
- No club gazebos are allowed.
- No catering or shower facilities at the finish.
Due to Covid regulations, only 3000 entries are available for the 21km race. A further 1000 Virtual entries will be available for runners who cannot get a live race entry.
The Virtual run will be untimed and unsupported. Entrants can run from 17-23 January 2022. All 4000 entrants will receive a Dry-fit T-shirt.
This is the 20th year that Dis-Chem has supported the event as the title sponsor. Event co-sponsors include Centrum, Norflex Gel, smecta, TransAct, ViralChoice and Biogen.
The race organisers thank all sponsors for their continued support and affirm that their contributions are critical to ensuring Dis-Chem’s continued hosting of the event.
The race is also an opportunity to raise funds for the two race charities:
- Lambano Sanctuary for orphaned children with HIV;
- The Namaqua Dog and Donkey Foundation, which provides sterilisation, vaccination and treatment of animals in informal settlements.
Once again, the Dis-Chem Foundation will match all donations runners make over and above their entry fee.
- 21km race entry is R300
- Virtual race entry is R200
Visit www.dischem21.co.za for more info or to enter.