Protein bars are the ultimate functional food snack. They’re low in calories and big on protein to keep you satiated and ensure you hit your daily protein intake.
But you don’t have to rely on store-bought bars. You can also make your own at home with this delicious recipe.
For the bars
1 cup coconut flour
½ cup honey
2 scoops Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Protein, Vanilla flavour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
½ cup almond butter
For the frosting
3 scoops Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Protein, Vanilla flavour
2 tbsp granulated sugar
Water, as needed
Coconut flour is made from ground and dried coconut meat – the white, rich, inner flesh of the coconut. It is a rich source of fibre, protein and healthy fats. It is an ideal replacement to refined flour as it does not contain any wheat or grains. It also has a low GI.
Almond milk is a popular alternative to dairy milk as it has a similar creamy texture. It also has a pleasant nutty flavour.
Instructions for bars
- Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, Gold Standard 100% Plant protein and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt almond butter with maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Fold wet mixture into the dry mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Add almond milk until a thick batter is formed.
- Spread mixture evenly into baking dish. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Instructions for frosting
- Combine Gold Standard 100% Plant protein with sugar.
- Add water as needed until thick frosting-like mixture is formed.
- Top bars with frosting and refrigerate for additional 30 minutes or until set.
Cinnamon ranks highly as a superfood because of its rich polyphenol antioxidant content, which makes it a potent natural anti-inflammatory.