Testosterone is a potent hormone that exerts a profound influence on diverse facets of men’s well-being, encompassing muscle growth, vitality, emotional state, and sexual performance.
Testosterone levels may wane due to the natural process of ageing, elevated stress levels, specific medications, alcohol and substance misuse, and various medical conditions. This decline in testosterone can precipitate an array of symptoms and health issues.
Consequently, discovering means to enhance the body’s natural production of this hormone can yield numerous advantages.
Alongside lifestyle changes such as dietary and exercise modifications, an array of supplements may help to stimulate natural testosterone production.
READ MORE | The Power Of Testosterone
When shopping for a natural testosterone booster, look for products that ideally contain these research-backed ingredients:
1. Tribulus Terrestris
Tribulus terrestris is often included in testosterone booster supplements due to its historical use in traditional medicine as a libido-enhancing herb.
When included in supplement formulations, Tribulus terrestris may help promote gains in strength and lean muscle mass by indirectly boosting natural testosterone production.
This natural substances reportedly increases the release of luteinizing hormone LH), which stimulates testosterone release, and the subsequent rise in circulating testosterone may have anabolic effects1.
2. Tongkat Ali
Tongkat ali, also known as Eurycoma longifolia or longjack, is a traditional herbal remedy with a reputation for enhancing testosterone.
This herbal ingredient with research backing its ability to help increase low testosterone levels to support male fertility, athletic performance, and muscle and strength gains.
For example, a study2 published in the journal Andrologia found that 90% of the older men with low testosterone who took 200 mg of Tongkat ali extract per day over the one-month trial period significantly increased levels to normal values.
And a systematic review and meta-analysis3 published in 2022 supports the possible use of E. longifolia (Tongkat ali) supplementation for “enhancing testosterone production”.
3. Panax Ginseng
Panax ginseng, a well-known adaptogen, has been used for centuries in traditional medicine. This herbal ingredient is often used to enhance male libido and fertility by increasing serum testosterone levels.
A study4 published in the journal Spermatogenesis found that Ginsenoside Rg1 (10 mg/kg), the major active constituent in Panax ginseng, is responsible for the increase of serum testosterone levels.
Panax ginseng may help improve testosterone levels and sperm quality, potentially due to its stress-reducing and anti-inflammatory properties4.
Ashwagandha is another adaptogenic herb believed to have a positive impact on testosterone levels by reducing stress and improving overall hormonal balance.
In one study5, subjects who took 5 grams per day for 3 months experienced a 10–22% increase in testosterone levels.
In a 2019 study6 published in the American Journal of Men’s Health, subjects (men aged 40-70) who received an ashwagandha supplement showed an almost 15% increase in testosterone on average and an 18% increase in DHEA, a hormone that helps produce other hormones, including testosterone.
5. Zinc and Magnesium Aspartate
Zinc and magnesium (ZMA) are essential minerals for the production of testosterone. Zinc helps to maintain normal circulating testosterone levels while magnesium contributes to the maintenance of normal muscle function and protein synthesis.
Some studies suggest that supplementing with ZMA may help individuals with deficiencies in these minerals to optimise their testosterone levels. This power combo can also help to improve sleep, which supports the muscle-building process and aids recovery and performance.
Considerations before using testosterone booster supplements
Professional and competitive athletes are advised to use products with Informed Sport or Informed Choice certification.
If you believe that you are suffering from low testosterone levels, it is recommended that you consult with a healthcare professional before considering supplements to address any underlying issues and explore medically-prescribed methods to support testosterone levels.
- Ghosian Moghaddam MH, Khalili M, Maleki M, Ahmad Abadi ME. The Effect of Oral Feeding of Tribulus terrestris L. on Sex Hormone and Gonadotropin Levels in Addicted Male Rats. Int J Fertil Steril. 2013 Apr;7(1):57-62. Epub 2013 Mar 6. PMID: 24520465; PMCID: PMC3850326.
- Tambi MI, Imran MK, Henkel RR. Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia, Tongkat ali, as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism? Andrologia. 2012 May;44 Suppl 1:226-30. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0272.2011.01168.x. Epub 2011 Jun 15. PMID: 21671978.
- Leisegang K, Finelli R, Sikka SC, Panner Selvam MK. Eurycoma longifolia (Jack) Improves Serum Total Testosterone in Men: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Clinical Trials. Medicina (Kaunas). 2022 Aug 4;58(8):1047. doi: 10.3390/medicina58081047. PMID: 36013514; PMCID: PMC9415500.
- Leung KW, Wong AS. Ginseng and male reproductive function. Spermatogenesis. 2013 Jul 1;3(3):e26391. doi: 10.4161/spmg.26391. Epub 2013 Sep 13. PMID: 24381805; PMCID: PMC3861174.
- Mahdi AA, Shukla KK, Ahmad MK, Rajender S, Shankhwar SN, Singh V, Dalela D. Withania somnifera Improves Semen Quality in Stress-Related Male Fertility. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2009 Sep 29;2011:576962. doi: 10.1093/ecam/nep138. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 19789214; PMCID: PMC3136684.
- Lopresti AL, Drummond PD, Smith SJ. A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Study Examining the Hormonal and Vitality Effects of Ashwagandha ( Withania somnifera) in Aging, Overweight Males. Am J Mens Health. 2019 Mar-Apr;13(2):1557988319835985. doi: 10.1177/1557988319835985. PMID: 30854916; PMCID: PMC6438434.