Pack in more protein with this double whammy of plant-based sources.
Both quinoa and black beans are rich in protein, along with additional minerals and vitamins. This dish is also a good source of dietary fibre.
- 5 ½ cups Health Connection Black Beans
- 1 cup Lifestyle Food Quinoa
- 3 cups Nature’s Choice Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup sweet corn, rinsed
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Lifestyle Foods Cinnamon Powder
- 2 tbsp Good Life Organic Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Good Life Organic Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Oryx Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Lifestyle Food Himalayan Rock Salt
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 avocados, sliced
Quinoa has a wonderful nutty flavour and it makes a great alternative to rice or couscous for those looking for lower-carb alternatives over the winter season.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot.
- Turn heat to medium/high and bring to the boil.
- Cover and let simmer on low heat for about an hour.
- Serve with diced green onions and avocado.
Black beans are fibre-packed legumes, which can help keep blood sugar levels stable and lower cholesterol. They are also an inexpensive source of plant protein.