Wiehann van Wyk has dedicated most of his life to achieving his fitness goals and pursuing a career in the industry.
Wiehann had an active childhood but it was only after he matriculated that he took up the art of sculpting his body.
He started off with just a few basics – dumbbells and barbells. But before long, he found himself dominating both local and international Men’s Physique line-ups.
Joining Biogen has been just reward for an athlete of his calibre. Wiehann placed an admirable second and third at two international IFBB World Championships and was also crowned overall IFBB S.A. Men’s Physique champ for two years running, in 2015 and 2016.
As someone who strives for nothing short of excellence, we asked Wiehann what Biogen’s #BeYourBest motto means to him.
“Our lives consist of many moving parts and facets, from relationships, career paths, health, passions, and hobbies. To be your best is to give each aspect your all. Committing to what makes you truly happy will enable you to live a rich and fulfilled life.”
Wiehann’s Biogen vitamin & mineral stack:
Wiehann’s Biogen supplement stack:
Eating clean, living lean
All athletes that compete at the highest levels following a strict diet plan, which is specifically formulated to yield the results they’re after.
‘If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail’ is the saying most athletes live by. Wiehann’s current diet is structured around his goal of maintaining muscle mass and keeping his body fat low. This is how he eats during the day:
- Meal 1: 5 whole eggs
- Meal 2: 1 cups of oats and 1 serving of Biogen Iso Whey protein
- Meal 3: 200g chicken or lean beef, 150g white rice or potato, with a serving of mixed vegetables
- Meal 4 (pre-workout meal): Repeat meal 3
- Meal 5 (post-workout meal): 50g cream of rice and 1 serving Biogen Iso Whey
- Meal 6: 180g of steak or 200g chicken/fish with roast vegetables
Get shredded with Wiehann
Wiehann incorporates ab training into his training split at least 2-3 times per week.
“I usually train my abs in a circuit routine, which requires a high intensity and minimum rest periods. I target segments of my abdominal muscles, including my lower and upper abs and obliques to work the full spectrum of muscles and get that detailed midsection and those chiselled abs.”
Wiehann’s ab circuit challenge:
- Straight-leg raises – 15 reps (lower abs)
- Sit-up – 15 reps (upper abs)
- Bicycles – 15 reps per side (obliques)
- Side plank – 45 sec per side (plank)
- Reverse crunch – 15 reps (lower abs)
- 90° crunch – 15 reps (upper abs)
- Russian twists – 15 per side (obliques)
- Plank – 60 sec
Perform 2 to 3 rounds with a 2-minute rest in between.
Wise final words
And his advice for athletes who want to make a name for themselves within the fitness industry?
“Never lose sight of your ‘why‘ – the reason you started. And never lose your passion for fitness. Don’t get consumed by the ideology of fast results. Rather work consistently and make steady progress. I believe that it is easier to stay in shape than it is to get in shape, so put your head down and do the work, especially on those days when you lack motivation. Your work ethic and discipline will separate you from the rest.”
- Born: Bloemfontein
- Lives: Cape Town
- Qualifications: Personal Trainer and Sports Massage Therapist
- Occupation: Personal Trainer
- Age: 27
- Height: 1.84m
- Weight: +/- 94kg
- Sponsors: Biogen Sports Nutrition & Panda Clothing
Connect with Wiehann
FB: Wiehann Van Wyk