Andrew Edward Pretorius is 23 years young, brimming with potential and hungry for success!
And he’s also the latest #TeamRED recruit. Watch this space!
Everybody starts somewhere
Naturally athletic, Andrew enjoyed playing sports in high school but was also encouraged to place his focus on his studies.
At age 16, Andrew only wanted one thing for Christmas – his first gym membership. After receiving the ‘Gift of Gains’, he wasted no time at all stepping on stage at the Rossi Extravaganza in 2015.
Unfortunately, the experience didn’t meet expectations as Andrew did not place. While the result would’ve deterred other people, Andrew went back to the drawing board. He analysed where he went wrong and began the process of becoming the fiercely competitive athlete that he is today.
So, what did he do differently? He realised that his shortcomings were not due to a lack of effort or work ethic, but rather a lack of knowledge, specifically in terms of nutrition.
“In 2019, I decided to seek professional coaching. That’s when Owen Dunderdale (qualified personal trainer, dietician, and online fitness coach) joined my quest, which resulted in me achieving my best conditioning to date.”
A self-proclaimed perfectionist, Andrew has an unrelenting work ethic and unwavering commitment to achieving his goals, both in the gym and while completing his studies.
He believes that “if you have given your best, regardless the endeavour, you will always be a winner.”
And this personal ethos aligns perfectly with Biogen’s #BeYourBest motto. “Being my best doesn’t just come at a certain time or season. It’s something that I live by, day in and day out,” says Andrew.
Life after lockdown
The rise of the COVID-19 pandemic came with its fair share of difficulties for all, especially with regard to training.
Andrew adapted his nutritional approach; sustaining his muscle mass by increasing his daily calorie intake while maintaining a relatively ‘clean’ nutritional plan, despite the temptations of lockdown comfort eating.
In true bodybuilding spirit, Andrew managed to get his hands on some dumbbells, a bench press, and even built a multi-purpose squat rack to keep making gains while at home.
Since gyms reopened, it’s been back to business as usual as Andrew preps for upcoming shows in 2021.
In terms of advice for other athletes trying to make a name for themselves in the local fitness industry, Andrew says it’s important to be consistent and don’t give up!
“If you are improving by 0.5% every day, at the end of one year, if you were consistent, you would have improved by 183%. Now imagine your accumulated progress over a 3-year period… that’s what being your best is all about!”
Lean machine kitchen staples
It’s no secret that abs are made in the kitchen. That’s why Andrew nails his nutritional goals with these foods:
- Mixed vegetables (red, green and yellow bell peppers; mushrooms; and onions)
- Rice cakes
- Peanut butter (Andrew’s weakness)
- Fruits (usually banana and pineapple)
Daily Biogen supplement plan:
- Biogen RAGE Pump N.O.S pre-workout (Mangorine flavour)
- Biogen RAGE Thermo fat burner
- Biogen RAGE Aminos (Citrus flavoured)
- Biogen Creatine Monohydrate
- Biogen Pure Carbs
- Biogen Iso-Whey protein (Salted Caramel)
Daily Biogen vitamin plan:
- Omega 3
- Vitamin D3
- Milk Thistle
- Ashwaganda root extract
- Joint support
Shred with Andrew
Remember, summer bodies are made in winter! Get ripped by adding Andrew’s ab regime to your training plan.
- Bicycle crunches – 3 sets x as many reps as possible in 45 seconds
- Mountain climbers – 3 sets x 30 reps (left and right leg movement = 1 rep)
- Russian twists – 3 sets x 15 reps (1 twist, left and right side = 1 rep)
- Plank – 3 sets x 45 sec
- Cable/rope crunch – 3 sets x 30 reps
- Ab roller – 3 sets x 15 reps
Favourite tunes while training: House, deep house and hip hop
Favourite exercise: Squats
Favourite cheat meal: A lekker braai with steak, potatoes & salad
How he relaxes: Listens to music and draws
Most gruelling workout: Legs or back
Fitness inspiration or icon: IFBB Pro Bodybuilder, Dallas McCarver
Weekly training split: This varies from season to season, but I’m currently on:
- Day 1: Pulls days (back, biceps and rear deltoids)
- Day 2: Push days (chest, triceps, front and side deltoids)
- Day 3: Legs
- Repeat days 1 – 3
- Day 7: Rest
Best motivational quote: “The mind always fails first, not the body. The secret is to make your mind work for you, not against you” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
- Hometown: Johannesburg
- Qualifications: Graduate in Bachelors of Physiology and Genetics
- Occupation: Student; supplement consultant
- Age: 23
- Height: 1.75m
- Weight: 90.5kg
- Sponsors: Biogen Sports Nutrition
- 2019 NPC/IFBB Pro League iCandy Classic Classic Physique 1st place
- 2019 NPC/IFBB Pro League Muscle Malisha Classic Physique 3rd place
- 2019 NPC/IFBB Pro League Junior u/23 Bodybuilding 3rd place
- 2018 Boksburg Classic Classic Bodybuilding 1st place