If you’ve diligently stuck to a diet and exercise plan since the start of the year, don’t let the COVID-19 lockdown derail your hard work with less-than-ideal comfort foods.
Rather opt for less sinful sweet treats with innovative recipes like this protein cheesecake.
For the base
Almond flour is a popular alternative to wheat flour for baking and cooking among health-conscious individuals as it is gluten-free, low in carbohydrates, high in fibre and a good source of plant-based protein.
For the filling
- 1 cup double cream yoghurt
- 2 tubs (250g each) cottage cheese
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup Lifestyle Food Whey Protein Powder
For the sauce
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 tbsp Lifestyle Food sweetener
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a spring-form baking tin.
- Combine all the base ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix with a spoon until a dough-like consistency is reached.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan using a spatula.
- Using an electric mixer beat all the cheesecake ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture on top of the base and place in the centre of the oven and bake for 40 – 45 minutes. The top of the cheesecake should be firm but slightly wobbly in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Once cool, place in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Place the sauce ingredients into a bowl and microwave for 2 – 3 minutes or until completely defrosted but not hot. Drain if there is too much liquid.
- Pour the berries over the cooled and set cheesecake.