You’ll got nuts for this protein-packed macaroon recipe!
A macaroon is a small cake or cookie, typically made from ground almonds, coconut or other nuts. And making them yourself at home is a great way to pack in better-for-you ingredients and a beneficial dose of protein in every batch!
- 2 servings Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Protein, Vanilla flavour
- 2 tbsp Lifestyle Food Almond Butter
- 2 tbsp Lifestyle Food Coconut Flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- ½ cup almond flakes (optional)
Plant power: Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant™ Protein Powder is made from 100% vegan ingredients, with 100% of its protein derived from plant sources, and contains a complete amino acids profile. It has no artificial colours or flavours.
Natural almond butter is a better alternative to peanut butter because it is a lower carb option. Peanuts aren’t technically nuts – they’re legumes, whereas almonds tree nuts, which makes them low in carbs and rich in healthy fats. Almonds also have higher manganese, calcium and magnesium content.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Create your macaroon mix by adding the coconut flour, shredded coconut and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Plant Protein to a food processor or blender.
- Blend these ingredients together for a few seconds in the processor.
- Add the almond butter, almond flakes and vanilla extract and blend the mixture again until all ingredients are combined but still flaky.
Slowly add the almond milk to the mixture in parts, intermittently blending to create sticky dough-like consistency.
- Roll the mixture into approximately 20 small balls with your hands and place them onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes, until golden and delicious.
Coconut flour is made from ground and dried coconut meat – the white, rich, inner flesh of the coconut. It is a rich source of fibre, protein and healthy fats. It is an ideal replacement to refined flour as it does not contain any wheat or grains. It also has a low GI.