This low-carb, high-protein treat that has no added sugar, making it the perfect indulgence.
It’s also packed with superfood ingredients for a health boost!
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 heaped scoops USN BlueLab 100% Whey Protein, Strawberry flavour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2-3 tsp chia seeds
- 60ml erythritol
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp psyllium husk
- 500g steamed pumpkin
- 60ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 20ml lemon juice
- 1 heaped tsp natural peanut butter
- 1 tsp (5ml) coconut oil
- 1 tsp rose water (optional)
Coconut flour is an ideal replacement to refined flour because it doesn’t contain wheat or grains. It also has a low GI. It’s made from ground and dried coconut meat – the white, rich, inner flesh of the coconut – and is a rich source of fibre, protein and healthy fats.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Make sure there are no lumps.
- In a blender, blend all the wet ingredients until mixture is quite frothy.
- Fold the blended wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients, little by little, until well mixed. Be careful not to over-mix the batter as you want the cake to be fluffy and light, not dense.
- Grease a cake tin and bake at 180°C for about 45 minutes.
Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides, or MCTs, which are metabolised differently to other fatty acids. This makes them an ideal source of readily available energy. The metabolic benefits derived from MCT oils also makes coconut oil a great form of fat to keep your weight in check!
- Fat-free cottage cheese
- USN BlueLab 100% Whey Protein, Strawberry flavour
- Stevia or sweetener of choice
- ½ tsp natural peanut butter
- Vanilla essence or rose water
Psyllium husk aids healthy digestion and can also assist in regulating high cholesterol, triglycerides and blood sugar levels. This ingredient is a form of soluble fibre made from the husk of the seeds from the Plantago ovata plant.
- Blend all ingredients together – fat-free cottage cheese, USN whey protein powder, peanut butter, rose water or vanilla essence and sweetener.
- Spread over your cake and enjoy!
Chia seeds are a rich source of fibre, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. The seeds are also a great plant-based source of protein because they contain all nine essential amino acids.
Recipe by Nadia squats_and_scrumpchies