Make sure your 2022 wellness goals remain on track by checking in with your body, even if you are otherwise healthy.
An annual check-up is the ideal way to benchmark your health, spot any changes in important health markers, spot trends, or detect any conditions such as cardiovascular disease or cancer early enough to treat.
READ MORE | 5 Signs That Your Health Sucks
Your local Dis-Chem Wellness Clinic offers a comprehensive battery of tests that can help identify areas in your lifestyle that may require attention, such as a change in diet in response to high glucose levels, or reduced salt consumption because of high blood pressure, as examples.
A comprehensive health assessment may also identify early signs and symptoms that indicate an illness or condition.
Your friendly Dis-Chem nursing practitioner will explain the results and make recommendations and referrals to a doctor or specialist, should you require one.
READ MORE | Experiencing Unexplained Weight Gain? Here Are 5 Possible Reasons
And medical aid members can redeem points to earn discounts and unlock other benefits as part of their relevant wellness programmes. What’s more, these health checks are typically free for medical aid members.
READ MORE | New Tech Helping Improve Early Prostate Cancer Detection
The comprehensive range of health checks and screenings available at Dis-Chem Wellness Clinics include:
- Blood pressure monitoring: Measure arterial blood pressure levels and understand your readings. These tests could identify low or high blood pressure, which may indicate various underlying conditions and prompt additional testing.
- Glucose screening: Evaluate your blood sugar levels to detect normal function or alert you in cases where levels are considered pre-diabetic or diabetic. Having your blood sugar tested will allow you to control your insulin response and circulating glucose with a low-GI diet. The Dis-Chem nursing practitioner may also refer you to a doctor if your glucose levels require a medical intervention to treat.
- BMI calculation screening: This test determines if your weight is ideal for your height. If you are categorised as obese, your nursing consultant may recommend lifestyle changes to your diet and exercise regimen, or refer you to a health and professional for more individualised advice.
- Cholesterol screening: High total cholesterol levels may indicate higher cardiovascular disease risk and may prompt a total lipogram screening to get a better picture of your cholesterol status. Depending on your reading, you may require a lifestyle intervention or medical treatment to address the issue.
- Total lipogram screening: This test measures the exact amount of different types of cholesterol in your blood, measuring levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol and triglycierides. Ideally, health practitioners recommend a total cholesterol to HDL ratio of 5:1 but ideally a 3.5:1 ratio is considered best. Higher readings indicate greater risk for heart disease.
- HIV screening, testing and counselling: Learn your HIV status and get psychological help after testing positive.
- Female health and breast screenings: Regular screenings create opportunities to proactively identify medical issues, assess your risk for future medical problems and encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pap smear test: The most common cause of cervical cancer is the Human Papiloma Virus (HPV). Routine pap smear tests can help to prevent HPV and cervical cancer.
- Iron test: A blood test used to diagnose anemia, a condition characterised by a low red blood cell count due to an iron deficiency. This condition is common among women and athletes, and can cause low energy levels and affect performance, among other symptoms.
READ MORE | These Potential Health Benefits Of Exercise Run More Than Skin Deep
You can also use the opportunity to get up to date with your vaccinations, or discuss the seasonal flu vaccine ahead of the winter season. And there is the option of a vitamin injection to top up on all the essential nutrients your body needs for optimal health and vitality.
You can visit a Dis-Chem Wellness Clinic in store at your convenience or book an appointment for a consultation.